Introduction Invitation News Feelings of Wangfujing Contact us

 

    Located in central Beijing, the origin of Wangfujing Street can date back to the 1360s, which was more than 700 years from today. It was recorded that during the Ming Dynasty there were once ten princes and three princesses residing on this street, hence the name "Wangfu", which means "residence of the aristocrat". When the name is revised in the 31st year of Emperor Guangxu (1905 A.D.), "Jing" (well) was added to the name to highlight a well with refreshing water located on the street.
  Commercial activities have been practiced on Wangfujing Street since the mid- to late-years of the Ming Dynasty. With the establishment of Dong’an Market on the disused training field for elite troops in the 29th year of Emperor Guangxu (1903 A.D.), several banks and stores also settled on the street, forming a business street in its real sense.
  The establishment of the People's Republic of China brought about the founding of Wangfujing Department Store—the first staterun emporium in Beijing. Other renowned companies from Tianjin and Shanghai also moved to Wangfujing, and the street became a symbol showing the development of PRC and her capital, the most famous shopping street in China.
  After three major renovations, the 21st century's Wangfujing is a representation of its human-friendly design concept. Most of the
spacious streets are off limits to motor vehicles, and are equipped
with advanced and complete supporting facilities. The street blends modern shopping centers with stores of historical renown.
  Commercial buildings on the street have a total construction area of 1.5 million square meters, providing an attractive environment for visit, shopping and other relaxations.
Copyright © Allright reserved Beijing Dongcheng District People’s Government All Rights